Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Let's Talk

Don't you just hate it when you are treated like a second class citizen?  Well that's how I felt when I was participating in a local art show.  First of all let me give you some background.

This event is put on by a huge nonprofit for the benefit of their patrons but it is also open to the public so there is a large variety of people shopping and spending money.  50% of my sales go to the nonprofit, there is no money handled by me; it is all done by the nonprofit and then they send me a check.  There is no booth fee and you are only allowed to have one 8x10 space.  This event is 15 years old and also includes a competition between local restaurants for display and soup they cooked for the show. 

Originally this show asked artists from local art studios to participate in the show and drastically limilted the number of items you could display.  In particular one studio is where most of the artists came from.

Anyway, a few years ago the nonprofit decided not to restrict the number of items you could display and began taking applications from other sources, such as Facebook, where I found out about it.

Two years ago when I signed up for the show for the first time I went through the jury process like everyone else and was selected.  I was deciding how to set up my display when I was asked to spread out because someone wasn't coming and the nonprofit didn't want an empty space.  My booth was packed with customers and we were so busy we could hardly keep up.

This year I only had the one space, which is fine but instead of a table I was given a stand up grid to hang things on.  This won't work so I asked that is be removed.  Instead of having a table supplied I said I could use my own tables and that was fine with the organizers.  I set up by booth in an open U with a small table out in the center.  The open U would allow my busy booth to accommodate the large number of customers like I had last year.

I went around talking with the other artists and boy were they rude.  First of all I am a wire wrapped and beader.  My roots are in beading and it seems to be what my customers like the most.  I don't have a studio outside of my home because I just can't see paying for the rent for it.

One example of how the others were is when I stopped at a booth and asked if she did well selling earrings.  She said they sell as well as anything else she guessed.  We talked about it for a bit and then went on to stone cutting and how my husband was interested in learning how to facet stones.  She asked if I cut my stones and I said no.  Then I mentioned an article I had just read in an art jewelry magazine that was reviewing new tools.  It was a small machine for making cabochons and I mentioned a name brand cabochon machine.  She told me she had never heard of that and even called another jewelry artist over to see if she knew of it.  Both of them had never heard of the machine.  They just kept saying that over and over and asking me where I had seen that and on and on.  Basically calling me a liar without actually saying that.  I just walked away in the middle of all this. 

I was told talking with another jewelry artist and told her I was a wire wrapped and beader and that at my booth I did have rather cheap items like $5 jeweled fobs and she told me it wasn't worth her time to sell anything for that price.  The least expensive thing she had were a couple pairs of earrings for $18.  I went on to say I would love to get away from beading but my customers purchased more of this style than anything else.  She actually said that she doesn't do what it trendy or popular she makes things that make her happy.  Can you believe that?  I guess if you don't like what makes her happy too bad.  I'd rather make what makes be happy and sells.

This jewelry artist told me she was going to come by my booth to see my wire designs.  I was looking for her when I noticed she was stopped at the booth right behind me, another jewelry artist that had a studio in the same space as her.  One of them pointed over her shoulder at my space and they looked over then they both walked out the door.

The next thing I knew artists were complaining about how much space I was taking up and this happened.



Please let me explain, my tables are 3'x6' and 2'x3' long.  I was using the 6' and 2 of the 3' tables. The smaller tables were slightly angled out but were still within the 10' space.  I just switched it around instead of being 8' wide and 10' deep I worked the other way.  Ended up they were happy with me taking down the center table so it all worked out.  I was just irritated that it waited until 5 minutes before the show began to become a problem.

After that the show began my booth was humming and I sold just under $700 worth of jewelry in just 4 hours!  I overheard others saying how it was terrible they hadn't sold anything.  Guess that idea of making what makes you happy isn't paying off so well.

Most of the other jewelry artists are silversmiths and offer something completely different from what I design.  I don't overcharge for items to pay for overhead.  If I get beads or materials at a good price I reflect that price in how much I charge for a piece.  I love working with wire and beads and if that means I'm not an artist then that's fine.  My customers love my work and I love making it.

Just something to think about when you are working a show with a bunch of snooty artists.  Just because it makes you happy doesn't mean your customers want it.  Most of us want what is in style right now.
I was all done setting up and resting up before the show opened when, after several times having officials stop in my booth and talk to me; I was told that I had to take my display down and condense it because some of the other artists were complaining that I had more space.  So I removed the small table in the center and that was it.

No comments:

Post a Comment